Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 8 to 9 hours
- 1 x Rack Beef Short Ribs (4 points)
Bourbon and Porter Beer BBQ Sauce:
- Bourbon 350ml Porter Beer 1 bottle BBQ Sauce 300g
- Extras: (Texas Crutch)
- Foil / Grease proof paper / butter / beer
Beef Rib Spice Rub:
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat your smoker to 150oC with Redheads charcoal and solid smoking wood
- Prepare spice rub by combining ingredients – set aside
- Prepare Ribs by removing the membrane and rubbing generously with mix.
- Add to your smoker and smoke for 5 to 6 hours – checking fire / temperature / smoke as you go.
- Whilst smoking reduce bourbon in a thick bottom pan, burning off alcohol until a syrup, add porter and reduce to a glaze, add Smokey BBQ sauce and mix. Set aside.
- After 5 to 6 hours – remove ribs and “Texas Crutch” the ribs but wrapping securely in foil and greaseproof paper with 100g butter and a good splash of beer. Add back to the smoker and finish cooking for about 3 hours or until tender to the touch. Ideally the rib holds well together but you could remove the bone if needed (tender)
- For the last 15 minutes open the foil wrap to expose the rib to re-bark (re-texture / crisp) then add to your plate. Generously coat in sauce and enjoy!